Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy Birthday, dear Mom. Happy Birthday to you!
It’s a gorgeous Saturday morning here in da ‘burgh. The parents are listening to a morning radio show and reading the paper. My sister is rummaging around for some breakfast and I’m sitting in my childhood bed with its pink sheets and pink comforter reading.
I told my mom I’d trade her one copy of “My Life in France” (finished it on the plane) for her copy of Jon Meacham’s bio on Andrew Jackson. So much for my ban on heavy political books for the summer.
Anyway, no cooking of note to report. My grandpa is driving down for lunch, and I can’t wait to see him. He is one of my favorite people in the world!
But in the meantime, cooking news and note…
* McClatchy newspapers discuss the impact of the oil spill on the Gulf shrimping industry. The livelihoods of commercial fishermen in general have been put in jeopardy by the spill and could be affected for years to come.
* A piece from my hometown paper, The Post-Gazette, on Memorial Day grilling. My family seems to be taking that to heart because my mom and dad have fired up the grill both nights since I’ve been home. The Tallahassee paper also gives some grilling safety tips.
* U.S. News and Report writes that the food industry has been rather successful in ousting trans fats from many foods produced in restaurants and for market consumption. The Washington Post also chimes in about really fattening restaurant foods and how to stop eating processed foods.
* The Blackhawks and the Flyers are battling for hockey supremacy, but the Chicago Tribune and Philadelphia Inquirer are arguing over which is the better food town. That’s a tough one. I’d go to either city any time.
* Since I had a link to the Chicago Tribune, it seemed only fair to include one from the Chicago Sun-Times (Both are wonderful newspapers). The Sun-Times offers up a guide to smoke cooking. I’m not even allowed a grill at my apartment, so I can’t really smoke things, so much as I can toss them on the George Foreman grill. But if I could, I would pay close attention to this article. 🙂
OK, that’s it for me. It’s time to go play outside before Mom’s bday celebration!