Last night, I took my first stab at making crab cakes.
I googled crab cakes and came up with a Taste of Home recipe that looked pretty simple.
It went pretty well for a first try, but it wasn’t perfect. (It still got a “mmm” from the boyfriend though.)
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (I omitted these)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use bay seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used olive oil)
In a large bowl, combine the crab, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, egg, onions, red pepper, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder and cayenne. Then, divide the mixture into balls and flatten them into patties. Cook cakes in butter (or oil) on each side until golden brown.