About a month ago, I decided to create a makeshift standing desk.
See, exhibit A.
At the beginning of January, I brought in this crate and stacked my laptop on top of it.
My office partner, who was out at the time I did this, came back and basically had a “What are you doing” look on his face. He then tweeted it, which set off a flurry of comments from my co-workers in the main office in Fort Lauderdale. Turns out, my friend Ben has also been using one and loves it.
I opted to switch over after reading the upteenth article about the benefits of them in a magazine.
So, here’s what I think so far.
1. Comfy shoes are key. I have slip ons to switch into while I’m working at the office. I tried it one day in dress shoes and was not happy. At All.
2. I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. When I’m sitting all day, I just feel exhausted at the end. Go figure.
3. I still sit sometimes. During calls with my bosses or conference calls, I’m more likely to sit. I’ve also noticed, if it’s crunch time and I have a lot of work to finish up, I like to sit. Can’t explain it.
4. Do I feel like it’s making a difference in my appearance? I can’t answer definitely on this one. My abs and back feel a little stronger, but I wouldn’t say it makes a huge difference.
5. I try to do calf raises when I remember. Great extra way to fit in a little extra exercise